Homemade grain-free pita chips are topped with a chunky mix of tomatoes, olives and feta for a Mediterranean twist on nachos.
When it comes to snacking, chips are a natural candidate. Their crispy, salty nature makes them perfect for munching on alone or for scooping up dips and toppings. That’s why I’m pretty enamored with these grain-free pita chips.
These crunchy homemade pita chips are easy to make and can be seasoned just about any way you like so they go with pretty much anything you throw their way. I like to serve them up nacho style with a twist.
These particular nachos aren’t anything like the greasy, artificial cheese laden, party food we’ve all come to know. This somewhat nontraditional recipe is my Mediterranean interpretation of nachos, starring some of my favorite flavors from the region.
How to make Mediterranean Nachos:
It all starts with a bed of homemade pita chips that are thin and toasty but sturdy enough to stand up to a hearty topping. The dough is mixed by hand and rolls out quickly and easily so these are a cinch to make whenever a chip craving strikes.
The golden pita triangles seasoned with oregano are then topped with a chunky mix of chopped tomatoes, olives, parsley and feta. By the way, I’ve used tomatoes here because I was lucky enough to find some beautiful vine ripened tomatoes at the market but seeing as they aren’t quite yet in season a chopped up cucumber would be equally at home here.
All dressed up with lemon juice and olive oil it makes a zesty and flavorful Mediterranean topping that’s piled high onto the freshly baked pita chips. It’s just the thing for nibbling on with family and friends before dinner or when a late night craving hits.
Grain-free pita triangles seasoned with oregano are topped with a chunky mix of tomatoes, olives and feta for a Mediterranean twist on nachos.
For the Grain-Free Pita Chips:
- 2 Tablespoons/ 18g coconut flour
- ½ cup/ 64g arrowroot flour/starch
- 1 ½ Tablespoons/ 22g extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup/60ml filtered water
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Coarse sea salt
For the Mediterranean Topping:
- 2 oz Greek sheep’s milk feta cheese, in chunks
- ¼ cup pitted Kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup marinated sun-dried tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 to 3 medium vine ripened tomatoes, seeds removes, coarsely chopped (or substitute a peeled, seeded cucumber if not available)
- 1 small clove of garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1Tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- The zest of half a lemon
- The juice of half a lemon
- 1 Tablespoon/15ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Make the Pita Chips:
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine all the ingredients extra for the oregano in a medium bowl and stir together until a dough forms.
- Roll the dough between your hands to create 4 balls.
- Pat dough balls into a circle between two pieces of parchment paper and roll each into a circle about 1/8- to 1/16 inch thick.
- Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife divide the dough evenly into triangles.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of additional salt if desired and the oregano.
- Place parchment on top again and roll once over lightly to adhere the toppings.
- Remove top parchment and place the bottom parchments on a baking sheet. (You may need to use 2 baking sheets with two rounds on each)
- Bake rotating once, until pita chips are just starting to turn a golden color around the edges (about 12 to 14 minutes).
- Let cool and break into triangles.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container.
Make the Greek Topping:
- Combine all the ingredients up until the salt in a medium mixing bowl and toss gently to combine, taking care not to break up the feta cheese too much.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately, or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate.
- Top pita chips with tomato feta mixture and serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 444mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 3gSugar: 8gProtein: 4g
Nutritional information for recipes contained on this website, such as calories, fat, carbs, etc. are only estimates and are not guaranteed to be accurate.