Enjoy the cozy warmth of fall flavors with this easy-to-make, creamy and spicy sweet potato carrot soup. With cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of cayenne, this dairy-free and vegan soup recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes and packed with comforting fall flavors.
While there are plenty of ways to stay cozy this season one of the most delicious is with a bowl of homemade soup. Sweaters, slippers and pumpkin spice lattes are all great but there’s something extra comforting about a nice bowl of soup this time of year.
Through the years I’ve made all kinds of soups to warm up with, there’s been this root vegetable soup, this winter squash soup and of course this carrot ginger soup, but at the moment the one I’m making most often is this sweet potato and carrot soup. It’s a creamy (but vegan), quick-cooking soup filled with fall flavors that makes for a great Thanksgiving starter or weekday lunch.
(Here are a few notes about the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe. As always find the full list of ingredients and directions in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.)
This velvety soup couldn’t be simpler to make, all you need are a handful of ingredients:
- Sweet Potatoes – Any orange-hued variety will do.
- Carrots – The natural sweetness of carrots pairs well with sweet potatoes.
- Spices – We’re using cinnamon, nutmeg and a pinch of cayenne to supply those cozy fall flavors and a bit of heat to balance out the sweetness of the sweet potatoes and carrots.
- Garlic – To keep the soup on the savory side (we aren’t making dessert).
- Olive Oil – To bloom the spices in and bring out their full flavor.
- Cashews – This is the “secret ingredient” that gives the soup its body and creamy texture without having to add dairy.
- Water – Plain water is all you need to simmer the soup in but feel free to opt for vegetable broth if you’d like.
How to Make a Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup:
(Here are the basic steps and some helpful tips on how to make the recipe. Find the full directions in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.)
A little bit of chopping, a short simmer on the stove and a quick spin in the blender and you’ll have yourself a sweet and spicy soup to warm you from the inside out in less than 30 minutes. Here’s how to do it:
- First you’ll start by heating the garlic and spices in some olive oil until fragrant.
- Next you’ll add your chopped sweet potatoes and carrots and give them a good stir. In go the cashews and water and everything is left to gently simmer away on the stove until tender.
- Pour the soup into a blender, blend until smooth and creamy and you are ready to serve.
It’s a vibrant soup with a smooth creamy texture and a pleasantly warming heat thanks to the spices. It keeps well in the fridge (as most soups do) so it makes an easy make-ahead addition to any holiday meal or warming lunch to pack into a thermos. The perfect cup of coziness for all those chilly days yet to come…
This creamy spiced sweet potato and carrot soup gets a dose of fall flavors and a bit of heat from cinnamon, nutmeg and a pinch of cayenne.
- 1 ½ Tablespoons/22ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛th teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅛th teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 12 ounces/340g sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 2 small or 1 large sweet potato)
- 4 ounces/114g carrots, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup/56g raw cashews
- 3 ½ cups/840ml filtered water
- 2 Tablespoons/30g chopped toasted pecans, for serving (optional)
- Heat olive oil, garlic and spices in a large pan or soup pot over low heat, stirring constantly until spices are fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Stir in sweet potatoes, carrots and cashews. Add water, increase heat to medium-high; bring pot to a simmer and continue to cook for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Place soup mixture in blender and blend until smooth. Pour into bowls top with chopped pecans and a pinch of cinnamon if desired and serve warm.
VARIATIONS: Adjust spice levels to your liking by increasing or decreasing the amount of cayenne.
STORAGE: Recipe can be made ahead of time and re-heated. Store soup in an airtight container in the fridge.
DIETARY INFO: Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Vegetarian, Vegan, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 322mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 6gSugar: 8gProtein: 6g
Nutritional information for recipes contained on this website, such as calories, fat, carbs, etc. are only estimates and are not guaranteed to be accurate.
Sylvie Shirazi is the recipe developer and food photographer behind Gourmande in the Kitchen. For the last 10 years she's been making eating more healthfully easy and accessible with gluten-free, grain-free, paleo and vegan recipes that are free from processed ingredients.