A mixture of caramelized nuts and seeds are dipped in dark chocolate and sprinkled with fleur de sel for a salty/sweet treat.
Good things come in small packages, right? And chocolate makes everything better?
Well, then, these bite-sized chocolate-dipped treats are a very, very good thing. A mix of nuts and seeds are held together by caramelized honey, enrobed in a rich layer of dark chocolate and then sprinkled with a hint of fleur de sel.
Every bite is an interplay of contrasts, the firm bittersweet chocolate cap giving way to a soft chewiness underneath with the subtle sweetness of honey.
The flavor of the rich, buttery nuts is bolstered by the sophisticated under-notes of caramelized honey, and amazing things happen when the buttery sweet richness meets that crucial finish of salt.
Thank goodness chocolate is acceptable any time of the day, as these delectably portable bites have been sneaking their way into my stomach at all hours.
They straddle the line between healthy snack and dessert; nutrition with a bit of indulgence. A little bit sweet a little bit salty, these have a depth of flavor that belies their simple components.
Treat this recipe as a blueprint for your own flavor combinations. Use your own favorite combination of nuts and seeds, feel free to add a splash of vanilla to the caramel if you’d like, and although I like these best with a bittersweet chocolate a rich dark milk would work nicely as well.
Oh, and please consider making extra, I’m running low…
These chocolate bites straddle the line between healthy snack and dessert; nutrition with a bit of indulgence.
30 minPrep Time
1 hr, 30 Total Time
- ½ cup/ 168g good quality honey
- 2 Tablespoons/28g of butter (or coconut oil)
- 1 cup/120g almonds coarsely, chopped (preferably soaked and dehydrated)
- 1 cup/120g pumpkin seeds, coarsely chopped (preferably soaked and dehydrated)
- 1 cup/120g walnuts, coarsely chopped (preferably soaked and dehydrated)
- 4 ½ oz/ 128g bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- Fleur de sel or fine sea salt
- Line an 8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- Heat honey, butter and a pinch of salt in a small saucepan over medium heat for about 10 minutes until it begins to thicken and turn a deep golden caramel color. (Watch it as it will bubble up suddenly and you may need to turn down the heat.)
- Fold in the chopped nuts and stir until well coated.
- Remove from heat and pour into the lined baking pan. Cover with another sheet of parchment paper and press down firmly to form a uniform layer, let cool in the refrigerator until hardened.
- Cut into square pieces with a sharp knife and keep refrigerated until ready to dip.
- Melt chopped chocolate in the microwave or over a double boiler. (If you’d like to temper your chocolate see the instructions on tempering chocolate .)
- Dip one end of each square into melted chocolate, sprinkle chocolate covered end with a little of the salt.
- Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet and refrigerate until chocolate sets.
- If not using tempered chocolate, store dipped nut bites in the fridge in an airtight container between sheets of parchment paper.
Gluten Free, Grain Free, Vegetarian, Paleo