Following a month of sumptuous celebratory feasts, during which our dining room tables groaned under the weight of our festivities, we naturally gravitate towards a return to balance. We seek out lively and clean flavors to reset our taste buds and brighten the dull winter days.
Fennel, celery and apple are such wonderful partners in this endeavor and offer a welcome respite from the heavier foods of late. Crispy, crunchy and light, they combine to create a winter-time salad that brings a little cheer to a dulled post-holiday palate.
While celery and apples are household staples and beloved snacks that make the shopping list most weeks, fennel is not always so well loved.
Slightly sweet and crunchy, fennel has a fresh assertiveness all its own. Its subtle anise flavor is beautiful all alone, but its greatest asset maybe its power to blend with and enhance other foods, adding lively layers of flavors and texture.
Long prized for its digestive properties, the anti-inflammatory properties of its essential oil anethole and its vitamin C content, fennel is a versatile vegetable worth getting to know.
This shaved fennel, apple and celery salad may just sway a few fennel fearers into fennel lovers. Slight tart apples, shaved paper thin are combined with fennel and celery in a delicate mess of winter white.
Dressed simply with fresh lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil for a fruity and peppery bite, a gentle sprinkle of fresh parsley and mint finishes off the salad and adds a touch of fresh flavor and color that might almost make you forget how many weeks of winter still remain.
Serves Serves 2 to 4
Slight tart apples, shaved paper thin are combined with fennel and celery int his light and refreshing salad.
20 minPrep Time
- 4 celery stalks, sliced paper-thin
- 2 small fennel bulbs, sliced paper-thin (reserve a few fennel fronds for garnish)
- 1 large firm, crisp apple thinly sliced paper-thin
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Fine sea salt
- Combine celery, thinly sliced fennel, apple, parsley and mint in a medium sized bowl.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and lemon juice and toss gently to coat.
- Season to taste with salt and serve.
What are your favorite post-holiday meals?