A warm winter salad of roasted cauliflower and carrots with a bright citrus dressing.
Even in the dead of winter I often find myself craving a good salad — a warm winter salad filled with tender roasted vegetables bathed in a bright, vibrant dressing to brighten the whole thing up.
Since I know I can always count on finding cauliflower and carrots at the market and citrus fruit are just starting to hit their peak, I’ve been throwing together this hearty little roasted cauliflower carrot salad quite often recently. It’s a mellow mix of roasted cauliflower and carrots tossed with a miso citrus vinaigrette and finished with sweet chunks of dates and a generous amount of parsley.
With just a little bit of prep you end up with an easy and wonderfully sweet and savory salad that I’d be happy to eat any day of the year really.
How to make a warm cauliflower salad:
It starts with a head of cauliflower and a couple carrots shaved thinly then coated in olive oil before heading to a hot oven to get all golden and toothsome. While that’s roasting you whisk up a quick vinaigrette made with fresh squeezed orange juice and a spoonful of miso for a savory depth of flavor. Chop up a few dates and a small bunch of parsley and you’re all set.
When the cauliflower and carrots come out the oven you’ll toss them quickly with the rest and serve it up warm. The citrus brightens the vegetables, the olive oil makes them taste richer and the miso adds a special salty undertone that just ties everything together so beautifully.
It’s a substantial combination that just might become your new favorite winter salad as well.
What are your favorite salads to eat in winter?
A warm winter salad of roasted cauliflower and carrots with a bright citrus miso dressing.
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 4 medium sized carrots
- Fleur de sel
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons/45ml extra virgin olive oil (divided use)
- The zest of ½ a medium orange
- The juice of ½ a medium orange
- 1 Tablespoon/15ml apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons yellow miso
- 1 large bunch flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped or torn
- 8 deglet noor dates, thinly sliced
- 1-2 green onions chopped, light green parts only (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Thinly slice cauliflower and carrots on a mandolin, or with a sharp knife. Place cauliflower and carrots on a sheet pan. Add 1 ½ Tablespoons of the olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Roast in oven for 25 minutes until tender and browned around the edges.
- Place orange zest and juice in the bottom of a large bowl. Whisk in apple cider vinegar, miso and gradually whisk in remaining oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the warm cauliflower and carrots to the dressing along with the chopped parsley, dates and green onions if using and toss to combine.
- Serve warm.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 281Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 129mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 5gSugar: 16gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information for recipes contained on this website, such as calories, fat, carbs, etc. are only estimates and are not guaranteed to be accurate.