Prepare tender, grilled zucchini skewers featuring both zucchini and summer squash and a tangy tahini yogurt sauce for your next barbecue.
With Memorial Day behind us and the 4th of July just ahead, I’d venture to say quite a few of you have already fired up your grills at least once. The summer months mean more meals enjoyed outdoors and that means lots of grilling.
Grilling isn’t just for hot dogs and hamburgers though; the intense heat of the grill transforms vegetables into something pretty special as well. Grilled zucchini skewers cook quickly, with a just hint of smoky flavor.
Zucchini and summer squash are two of my favorites on the grill this time of year. Grilling brings out their inherent creaminess and mild sweetness. I adore them as a side to any meal or just all on their own.
The squash first get a brief bath in a mixture of lemon juice, olive oil and oregano before facing the heat, and are finished with a tangy tahini yogurt sauce spiked with earthy cumin.
I love the contrast between the hot vegetables and the cool, creamy sauce. The light smoky flavor of the grilled zucchini and summer squash pairs so nicely with the tahini and cumin.
Luckily both zucchini and summer squash are in abundance during the summer months which means they’ll be a staple on my dinner table. You can also make the sauce ahead of time and keep it in the fridge for a few days so you can make these whenever the mood strikes.
If you’ve got a bbq coming up or are just looking for an excuse to fire up the grill, try these summer squash and zucchini skewers with tahini yogurt sauce for your next outdoor meal.
More Grilled Vegetable Recipes:
Prepare tender, grilled zucchini skewers featuring both zucchini and summer squash and a tangy tahini yogurt sauce at your next barbecue.
For the Marinade:
- 1 Tablespoon/15ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon/ 15ml fresh lemon juice
- The zest of ½ a lemon
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt or Himalayan salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the Skewers:
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1- 2 inch pieces
- 2 medium yellow squash, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley for serving
- Lemon wedges for serving (optional)
- Metal or Bamboo skewers (if using bamboo skewers be sure to soak them for at least 30 minutes prior to use)
For the Tahini Yogurt Sauce:
- 2 Tablespoons/30ml tahini
- 2 Tablespoons/130ml plain yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon/15 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons/15ml fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon/15ml filtered water
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- ⅛th teaspoon sea salt or Himalayan salt
- ½ teaspoon of ground cumin
- In a large bowl whisk together all the marinade ingredients. Add the zucchini and summer squash and toss to coat thoroughly. Cover and let sit for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high.
- Thread the marinated vegetables onto the skewers.
- Brush generously with remaining marinade.
- Grill until the vegetables are tender and lightly charred (about 5 to 6 minutes each side). Transfer the skewers to a serving platter and drizzle with the sauce and chopped parsley.
- Serve with lemon wedges if desired.
For Vegan and Paleo use a plain dairy-free yogurt instead.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 255Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 911mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 5gSugar: 12gProtein: 9g
Nutritional information for recipes contained on this website, such as calories, fat, carbs, etc. are only estimates and are not guaranteed to be accurate.
Sylvie Shirazi is the recipe developer and food photographer behind Gourmande in the Kitchen. For the last 10 years she's been making eating more healthfully easy and accessible with gluten-free, grain-free, paleo and vegan recipes that are free from processed ingredients.