Treat yourself or someone you love to these gluten-free chocolate crêpes with fresh strawberries and dark chocolate sauce.
Crêpes are one of those recipes everyone should really have in their cooking repertoire.
They make an amazing breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner and are season-less (there’s no wrong time of year to eat one). The options are endless when it comes to crêpes; they’re delicious on their own but also the perfect vehicle for all manners of fillings and/or topping both savory and sweet.
If you’re looking for a basic crêpe recipe to start out with then this is the one I use the most. But if you’re in the mood for some a little more indulgent, then these gluten-free chocolate crêpes fit the bill. Cocoa powder makes the crêpes feel extra special, especially when served with a velvety dark chocolate sauce poured over the top.
How to make crêpes:
- One of the great things about making crêpes, chocolate or otherwise, is how easily the batter comes together. Just pop all your ingredients in the blender until you’ve got a silky smooth batter, from that point you can choose to park your batter in the fridge for a few hours or even overnight so it’s ready to go whenever when you need it.
- The next thing you’ll need is a good pan. You’ll want something small, non-stick with a flat bottom and short sides. I like a traditional crêpe pan but a regular non-stick skillet will do as well. Lightly oil your skillet then gently heat it up over low heat to ensure an even cooking temperature. Then comes the swirl and shake; pour a little batter into the bottom of the pan while swirling it around the edges and shaking it back and forth until the batter settles into a nice even layer. Once the batter loses its shine, it’s time to flip.
- Slide a spatula around the edges to loosen the crêpe from the pan and flip, the first one will probably tear, that’s ok, its still delicious. Soon you’ll have a plate full of deliciously chocolatey crêpes waiting to be served. Add a quick and easy little dark chocolate sauce and you’re ready to eat!
More pancake recipes to try:
Treat yourself or someone you love to these gluten-free and paleo chocolate crêpes with fresh strawberries and dark chocolate sauce.
For the Dark Chocolate Sauce:
- ½ cup/ 120ml filtered water
- ¼ cup/20g cocoa powder
- ¼ cup/48g coconut sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- ¼ cup/ 60g dark chocolate, finely chopped
For the Crêpes:
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup/ 120ml light coconut milk
- 3 Tablespoons/ 45ml filtered water
- 2 Tablespoons/ 18g arrowroot starch
- 2 Tablespoons/ 14g coconut flour
- 1 Tablespoon/12g coconut sugar
- 1 Tablespoon/10g cocoa powder
- 1 Tablespoon/ 15g melted coconut oil (plus more for pan)
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- Strawberries or other fresh berries for serving (optional)
Make the dark chocolate sauce:
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, whisk together water, cocoa powder, coconut sugar and salt until smooth and just come to a simmer.
- Remove from heat, add chopped chocolate and gently stir with a spatula until smooth and fully melted. Set aside or cover and store in fridge until needed.
Make the chocolate crêpes:
- Place all the ingredients for the crêpes into a blender and blend on high until fully incorporated. Let batter sit for 15 minutes or cover and store in the fridge overnight before cooking.
- Brush skillet or crêpe pan with a little coconut oil and heat over low heat. Pour about ¼ cup of crêpe batter into pan, turning, tilting and shaking the pan back and forth immediately to coat bottom evenly.
- Cook until crepe appears dry and set on top (about 1 - 2 minutes). Run a spatula gently around the edge to loosen and lift a corner to check if the bottom is set. Flip the crêpe, and continue cooking until the bottom is set.
- Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining batter, brushing pan lightly with oil if needed.
- Serve immediately topped with the chocolate sauce and strawberries if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 185Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 74mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 17gProtein: 4g
Nutritional information for recipes contained on this website, such as calories, fat, carbs, etc. are only estimates and are not guaranteed to be accurate.
(Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Find out what that means for you here.)
Sylvie Shirazi is the recipe developer and food photographer behind Gourmande in the Kitchen. For the last 10 years she's been making eating more healthfully easy and accessible with gluten-free, grain-free, paleo and vegan recipes that are free from processed ingredients.