A light and refreshing grapefruit, tangerine, avocado and endive salad filled with vitamin C and healthy fats.
As you may have noticed by now I love making salads regardless of the time of year. And by salad I don’t mean to say a bowl of lonely lettuce leaves served before or alongside a meal as a matter of course, but rather a lively combination of tastes and textures thrown together and tossed with a fresh and flavorful dressing.
Citrus has been my salad companion of late, its vibrant sweet/tart flavors a much needed respite from heavier winter fare. Although I use the word “winter” loosely here when the temperatures have been more spring or summer in nature recently. Regardless of what the weather may be in your part of the world at the moment, citrus fruit are a burst of freshness and sunshine following a season of richness and indulgence.
This particular salad bursting with vitamin C and healthy fats is all about the textures; crisp endive leaves, juicy citrus, creamy avocado, and crunchy almonds are all happily married with a honeyed vinaigrette. What we have here is your classic grapefruit and avocado pairing updated with juicy sections of tangerines and crunchy fresh endives. To this you add a honey tangerine vinaigrette, a handful of fresh mint leaves and a sprinkle of salty chopped almonds.
Sweet, tart, bitter and buttery all at once, this salad is simple to put together but complex in flavors. The fresh, bright flavors awaken the senses and enliven the palate. Chances are it will be making a frequent appearance at my table while grapefruits and tangerines are at their prime. Join me, won’t you?
A colorful and refreshing salad featuring crisp endive leaves, juicy citrus, creamy avocado and crunchy almonds dressed with a honeyed vinaigrette.
- 1 teaspoon raw orange blossom honey (or any other fragrant honey, for vegan substitute the liquid sweeter of your choice)
- 2 Tablespoons/30ml freshly squeezed tangerine juice
- 1 Tablespoon/15ml white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup/60ml extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 small ripe Hass avocados
- 1 large red grapefruit
- 2 medium tangerines (plus more for juice for the vinaigrette)
- 4 medium endives, trimmed, leaves separated
- 2 Tablespoons fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- ¼ cup/28g roasted almonds, chopped
- Place the honey, tangerine juice, salt, and pepper in a small bowl . Slowly whisk in the oil until emulsified.
- Cut the avocados in 1/2, removing the seed and carefully cut each half into thick slices in the shell. Carefully peel the shell and remove the slices.
- Toss the avocado slices in the vinaigrette to prevent them from browning while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Using a sharp knife , peel the grapefruit and tangerines removing all the white pith, then cut into segments by cutting between the membranes to release the wedges or cut crosswise into rounds.
- Arrange the avocado slices, endive leaves and citrus segments on a large platter. Spoon the remaining vinaigrette on top, sprinkling with the chopped mint, chopped almonds and additional salt and pepper to taste if desired.
Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Vegetarian, Paleo, For Vegan (substitute maple syrup for the honey)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 262Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 117mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 6gSugar: 10gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information for recipes contained on this website, such as calories, fat, carbs, etc. are only estimates and are not guaranteed to be accurate.
(Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Find out what that means for you here.)