Zucchini, artichokes and halloumi team up with a zesty lemon oregano marinade and hit the grill in these easy Greek inspired vegetable skewers.
It’s barbeque season, I can smell it everywhere I go. The scent of smoke and the grill fills the air hinting at the backyard gatherings and summer memories being made.
With its longer days and warm weather the season is tailor made for enjoying meals outdoors and nearly anything goes when it comes to grilling; meats, fish, vegetables, fruit and even cheese can benefit from a little time on the grill.
Halloumi cheese to be exact; a sheep milk’s cheese with Greek origins with a high melting point is made for grilling and frying. Its somewhat squeaky texture is reminiscent of mozzarella but with a firmer chew that softens and becomes creamier under the heat.
Basted with both lemon juice and zest, fresh oregano, garlic and olive oil and blasted with intense heat these zucchini and artichoke vegetable skewers cook quickly and come off the barbeque slightly charred around the edges, each bite a medley of vegetables, cheese and herbs.
The Greek inspired marinade thoroughly bathes the cheese and vegetables bringing a big, bright freshness to the dish. Once done, the skewers are served warm drizzled with spoonfuls of the oregano marinade accented with chopped black olives and fresh parsley for an extra layer of flavor.
What do you like to grill?
Greek Inspired Zucchini, Halloumi and Artichoke Skewer Recipe
A Greek inspired marinade bathes Halloumi cheese and zucchini and artichokes bringing a big, bright freshness to vegetables on the grill.
For the Marinade:
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from about ½ a lemon)
- 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped oregano or 1½ teaspoons dried
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- Zest of 1 large lemon, grated
- ½ teaspoon sea salt or Himalayan salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the Skewers:
- 8 ounces/225g Halloumi cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 small zucchini, cut lengthwise and then into 1-inch pieces
- 12 ounces/310g (1 bag ) frozen artichoke hearts, thawed (or drained water packed artichoke hearts)
- Metal or Bamboo skewers
For the Sauce:
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon black Greek olives, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt or Himalayan salt
- ? teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- More chopped fresh Italian parsley for serving (optional)
- Lemon wedges for serving (optional)
- In a large bowl whisk together all the marinade ingredients. Add the Halloumi, zucchini and artichoke hearts and toss to coat thoroughly. Cover and let sit for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pre-heat your grill to a medium heat or your oven to 400 if baking. (If using bamboo cocktail skewers, be sure to soak them in water beforehand.)
- Thread the marinated vegetables onto the skewers.
- Brush generously with remaining marinade and set the rest aside.
- Grill until the vegetables are tender and lightly charred (6 to 8 minutes), or bake for 10-12 minutes in the oven turning over once.
- Add the sauce ingredients to the reserved marinade and whisk to combine.
- Transfer the skewers to a serving platter and drizzle with the sauce and extra parsley and serve with lemon wedges if desired.
Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Vegetarian
Copyright 2013 gourmandeinthekitchen.com
leave a comment