A frosty and bright strawberry granita with a hint of honey and crisp rosé wine.
Ah strawberries, it’s good to see you again. It’s that time of year again, when strawberries are appearing. Ripe, local strawberries, the kind that are sweet to the core and unlike the more mediocre varieties available most other times of the year.
When it comes to strawberries, if you are lucky enough to stumble on good ones, don’t hesitate to snatch up as many as you can, good berries are hard to come by.
And if you ever find yourself with a few too many said strawberries on hand, this granita puts the less-than perfect ones to good use. Frosty and light, each spoonful is bright and refreshing, capturing the sweetness of the berries balanced with a hint of honey and crisp wine.
Speaking of wine, the recipe calls for rosé, and its quaffable nature is exactly what we are after here. A crisp but fruit forward bottle is the perfect complement to the strawberries. You don’t need to pick an expensive bottle, but please choose one you’d enjoy drinking as its flavor shines through.
This strawberry rosé granita straddles the fence and is equally at ease as a palate cleanser, dessert or frozen cocktail. Serve it in between courses to refresh and clean the palate, at the end of a large meal as a light dessert, or even instead of a glass of wine on a warm day.
Pretty and pink, it’s just a slice, stir and blend away, although do plan ahead as the freezing takes the longest. The strawberries are briefly soaked in a mixture of honey, framboise and lime juice and then blitzed in the blender. Then the mixture is left to set in the freezer and scraped every so often to create a light icy texture.
Strawberry granita is a light and refreshing ending to any summer meal.
- 8oz/227g fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced in two
- 3 Tablespoons/60g good quality honey
- 2 Tablespoons/30ml framboise (raspberry liqueur) you can also use Chambord or any other berry flavored liqueur (optional but recommended)
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice
- ½ cup/ 120ml filtered water
- 1 cup/ 240ml good quality rosé wine
- Combine the sliced strawberries with the honey, raspberry liqueur, lime/lemon juice. Cover and set aside for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add the water and wine and purée in a high speed blender or food processor (or alternatively pass the mixture through a food mill fitted with a fine disk and then mix in the water and wine).
- Press the purée through a fine mesh strainer to remove the seeds if using a blender or processor if desired for a smoother consistency (if you have a high speed blender this step isn’t necessary).
- Pour mixture into a freezer safe 13- x 9-inch baking dish, cover and place in the freezer. Once ice crystals start to form scrape the mixture with the tines of a fork every 30 minutes as the mixture freezes, until granita is fully frozen but scoopable consistency (about 3 hours).
- Remove from freezer and stir with a fork to break it up and scoop into individual serving dishes or glasses.
Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Vegetarian, for Vegan replace honey with maple syrup or alternative sweetener of choice, Paleo
Serving Size:Serves 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 179Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 5mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 32gProtein: 1g
Nutritional information for recipes contained on this website, such as calories, fat, carbs, etc. are only estimates and are not guaranteed to be accurate.