These gluten-free and vegan stuffed mushrooms with spinach are simple to make and an easy bite-sized appetizer for any occasion.
Everyone should have at least one easy appetizer in their repertoire; something that doesn’t take much effort and is as great for parties as it is for nibbling on while waiting for dinner. Whether it’s for a party platter or a pre-dinner bite, stuffed mushrooms are a classic and these spinach stuffed mushrooms are one of my go-tos.
Warm stuffed mushrooms are pretty irresistible and make a perfect pop-in-your mouth finger food for any occasion. While we often think of stuffed mushrooms as a winter holiday appetizer, they really are well suited for any time of year, and with summer on the horizon there are lots of holidays and parties where a platter of easy hors d’oeuvres would be quite welcome.
Mushrooms are what I like to think of as a blank canvas, their savory yet neutral taste marries well with all kinds of more robust flavors. Here I’ve stuffed them with a creamy combination of cream cheese, pesto and spinach reminiscent of spinach dip. Each bite is rich, garlicky, warm and comforting. They also happen to be gluten-free, vegan and paleo so they cater to a number of diets.
How to make vegan stuffed mushrooms:
- You start by preparing the filling, which is a mixture of either an almond or cashew based vegan cream cheese, along with a dairy-free pesto (either homemade or store-bought) and chopped spinach (frozen is fine). The filling can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated until needed.
- Next remove the stems from the mushroom caps (a little side-to-side jiggle and they should pop right out) and brush them lightly with oil and season them with a pinch of salt. Spoon the filling into the caps, sprinkle them with an almond flour “breadcrumb” topping and into the oven they go until golden and tender.
- Serve them warm and watch them disappear!
More Mushrooms Recipes to Try:
Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms
These vegan and gluten-free stuffed mushrooms with spinach are simple to make and an easy bite-sized appetizer for any occasion.
- For the Filling:
- 3 Tablespoons/45ml dairy-free pesto (either homemade or store-bought)
- 3 Tablespoons/45ml almond or cashew based dairy-free cream cheese
- 3 oz/84g frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove excess water
- Pinch of sea salt to taste if necessary
- For the Topping:
- 2 Tablespoons/14g almond flour
- 1 teaspoon/ 2g tapioca flour
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon/5ml extra virgin olive oil
- For the Stuffed Mushrooms:
- 8oz/227g (about12-15) cremini (also known as baby bella) mushrooms, stems removed
Prepare the filling:
- In a small bowl mix together pesto, cream cheese and spinach
until well combined. Taste and season
with salt if necessary (adjust seasoning according to saltiness of pesto
used). Filling can be made ahead of time
and chilled until needed.
- In a small bowl stir together almond flour, tapioca, sea
salt, ground pepper until combined.
Drizzle in olive oil and stir until crumbs form. Topping can be made ahead and chilled until
Prepare the stuffed mushrooms:
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using a small melon scooper, carefully scoop the insides of
the mushroom caps removing and discarding the gills. Lightly oil the caps and place them stem side
up on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Spoon filling into mushroom caps and sprinkle tops with
breadcrumb topping. Bake for 20-25
minutes or until golden and tender.
- Serve warm.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 104Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 105mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information for recipes contained on this website, such as calories, fat, carbs, etc. are only estimates and are not guaranteed to be accurate.
Sylvie Shirazi is the recipe developer and food photographer behind Gourmande in the Kitchen. For the last 10 years she's been making eating more healthfully easy and accessible with gluten-free, grain-free, paleo and vegan recipes that are free from processed ingredients.
Leave a Reply