Golden on the outside, bright green and tender on the inside, these easy sweet pea fritters with yogurt sauce make a delicious snack or appetizer.
I am of the firm belief that peas and mint much like berries and cream are one of those food matches made in heaven. If you are in agreement with me, I suggest you grab yourself some of each and make these bite-sized fritters.
These pea fritters are little packages of green goodness that thankfully come together rather quickly. They’re loaded with fresh mint, lemon and feta which give them a fresh, bright taste.
Tender, mildly sweet peas are quickly blanched and join some freshly chopped mint, green onions and a bit of grated lemon zest for an added citrus-y zip. I toss it all into a fritter batter made of coconut flour, eggs and feta with a touch of salt and pepper then let it rest for a few minutes before it meets the oil.
Heaping spoonfuls are then quickly pan fried until lightly golden and crusty on the outside. The centers remain soft and tender while the exteriors caramelize and becoming slightly browned and crisp.
Served warm from the pan with a tangy yogurt-mint sauce for dipping, each bite bursts with zippy spring flavors. But I think the feta is what really sets these fritters apart; it melts ever so slightly into the light green batter as it cooks, adding a salty creaminess to every bite.
Make them bite-sized and serve them as an appetizer or as a light meal with a side salad and watch them disappear.
These easy gluten-free pea fritters make for a delicious snack or appetizer. They are golden on the outside, bright green and tender on the inside.
For the Yogurt Sauce:
- ½ cup/ 120 ml thick Greek or strained plain yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon fresh mint, finely chopped
- Pinch of sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
For the Pea Fritters:
- 2 cup/260 g fresh or thawed frozen green peas
- 2 large eggs
- 2 green onions (or one medium shallot), white and light green parts thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- The zest from half of an unwaxed or organic lemon, finely grated
- 2 oz/ 56g sheep’s milk feta
- ¼ cup /28 g coconut flour, sifted
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- Coconut oil for frying
- Make the Yogurt Sauce:
- Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
- Refrigerate until needed. (Can be made ahead of time)
- Make the Pea Fritters:
- Cook peas in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender (about 3-4 minutes).
- Drain and mash coarsely using a fork or pulse briefly in a food processor until chunky.
- In a large bowl whisk together the egg, green onions or shallots, mint, lemon rind, feta, coconut flour and salt and pepper. Add in the pea mixture and mix thoroughly. Set aside for 5 minutes to allow the coconut flour to absorb some of the moisture.
- Heat a thin layer of coconut oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat and place heaped tablespoons of the pea mixture in the pan pressing down the mixture into a disc. Cook in batches flipping when golden on one side (about 2 minutes each side).
- Drain fritters on parchment paper if needed.
- Serve immediately with the yogurt sauce on the side and additional lemon wedges and a green salad if desired.
Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Vegetarian, Primal
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 53Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 102mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information for recipes contained on this website, such as calories, fat, carbs, etc. are only estimates and are not guaranteed to be accurate.
Sylvie Shirazi is the recipe developer and food photographer behind Gourmande in the Kitchen. For the last 10 years she's been making eating more healthfully easy and accessible with gluten-free, grain-free, paleo and vegan recipes that are free from processed ingredients.