This easy to prepare harissa roasted eggplant is sweet and spicy and deliciously creamy on the inside.
Eggplant, (like and kale and beets) is one of those vegetables people tend to have pretty strong opinions about. You either love it or hate it and that’s that.
I can certainly understand why eggplant can be hard to love, it so often can be bland and spongy when not prepared correctly and quite heavy as well since it soaks up oil so readily. But just like the aforementioned kale and beets, the key to transforming eggplant haters into eggplant lovers is in the preparation. In this case the secret is heat.
Why roast eggplant?
Roasting eggplant in the oven is so easy (no salting necessary) and you end up with eggplant that’s delicate and tender, not oily. The screamingly high heat of the oven transforms the insides from spongy to wonderfully silky.
What kind of eggplant is best for roasting?
While eggplant comes in a variety of shapes and sizes I like to stick to the smaller ones for roasting so that they cook evenly throughout. Chinese or Japanese eggplant are great for roasting. Look for ones that have smooth shiny skin and are firm to the touch (soft ones will be spongy). They both have a thin skin, contain fewer seeds than globe eggplant, and are creamy on the inside when roasted.
How to make harissa eggplant:
- You start by cutting your eggplant lengthwise and scoring the flesh with a knife. Scoring before roasting creates grooves for the glaze to sink into as it roasts.
- Next comes the spicy honey harissa glaze which is brushed on before going into the oven. The honey helps the surface of the eggplant caramelize while the harissa brings plenty of spice and heat to offset the sweetness.
What you end up with is a dish that’s vibrant with flavor and fantastically creamy on the inside.
More eggplant recipes:
Honey and harissa roasted eggplant is sweet and spicy and deliciously creamy on the inside.
- 6 Chinese or Japanese eggplants, halved lengthwise
- 2 Tablespoons/30g extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons/30ml raw organic honey
- 2 teaspoons harissa
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of fresh ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons, chopped fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, honey, harissa, garlic, cumin, sea salt and pepper.
- Score eggplant with knife and brush with honey harissa mixture to coat.
- Roast eggplant on baking sheet until golden, about 15-20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with mint and serve warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 204mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 1g
Nutritional information for recipes contained on this website, such as calories, fat, carbs, etc. are only estimates and are not guaranteed to be accurate.
(Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Find out what that means for you here.)
Sylvie Shirazi is the recipe developer and food photographer behind Gourmande in the Kitchen. For the last 10 years she's been making eating more healthfully easy and accessible with gluten-free, grain-free, paleo and vegan recipes that are free from processed ingredients.