These grain-free, paleo crackers get their satisfying toasty nutty flavor from a combination of ground almonds, flax and hemp seeds.
Why crackers? Well, it all started a few weeks ago when I was craving a snack. You see, I have a habit of grazing, which includes on occasion a forkful of leftovers straight from the fridge, or a quick snack contentedly consumed while standing over the sink. I like to think of them as little happy mouthfuls on the spur of the moment that make life more pleasant. That day I wanted a something crunchy; a cracker, and when you’re craving a cracker nothing else will do.
The crunch and crumble of a good cracker is a joyful thing whether paired with a slice of cheese, dipped in a bowl of warm soup or enjoyed on its own. The thought of them was so thoroughly engrossing it propelled me into a determined quest to create just the right ones to satisfy my craving.
I was aiming for a cracker with a little heft, nice and hearty with a toasty nutty flavor. I wanted a rustic cracker, simple and straightforward, grain-free and gluten-free as well and, of course, it had to be easy to make.After much testing and tweaking, I came up with these little crackers.
They’re pleasantly nutty, crisp and utterly habit forming. Delivering a robust share of flavor for such a small package, they are just the thing for nibbling on. The crackers get their satisfying toasty nutty flavor from a combination of ground almonds, flax and hemp seeds. The almonds and flax are finely ground but the shelled hemp seeds are left whole. Rolled out thinly they’re slowly baked in a low oven until dried and crisp.
In addition to being easy to make, they are a natural accompaniment to a cheese plate or bowl of dip at a party. Set them out before dinner so your guests can graze.
Much more than a mere receptacle for cheese, however, these wholesome bites are easily savored on their own. This is a recipe you’ll want in your repertoire. Now go on and make your own, I’ve already eaten all of mine.
These gluten-free crackers get their satisfying toasty nutty flavor from a combination of ground almonds, flax and hemp seeds.
- ½ cup/ 60g almond meal
- ½ cup/52g ground flax meal
- 2 Tablespoons/30g shelled hemp seeds
- 1 Tablespoon/ 8g coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt (plus more to sprinkle on top)
- 2 Tablespoons/28g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg white
- Preheat oven to 300° degrees F/ 150° C.
- Mix almond meal, flax meal, shelled hemp seed, coconut flour and fine sea salt in a large bowl. Pour melted butter and large white egg over the dry ingredients and mix well to combine with a fork until dough comes together in a ball (you may need to use your hands).
- Roll the crackers out very thinly between two sheets of parchment paper. Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut into small squares and sprinkle with a pinch of additional sea salt.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until completely dry and crisp.
- Cool on cooling rack and store in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Gluten Free, Grain Free, Vegetarian, Paleo
NOTE: Roll them thinly and evenly (about one-eighth inch). The crackers are baked at a low temperature so that the crackers dry out without getting brown too early.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 54Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 26mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information for recipes contained on this website, such as calories, fat, carbs, etc. are only estimates and are not guaranteed to be accurate.