This simple Asian inspired red cabbage and carrot slaw with orange sesame dressing is a crunchy and fresh addition to any summer meal.
If you’re looking for a summer salad or side that’s easy to throw together and bring along, then a slaw is the answer. While I’m a sucker for a good slaw any time of year, summer really is the perfect season for one. It’s fresh and crunchy and goes great with just about everything on your summer menu.
This one is an Asian inspired slaw with an orange sesame dressing. It’s a lighter, fresher and more flavorful alternative to the kind dressed with mayo, not to mention less soggy. Colorful and crunchy it’s a welcome addition to any barbeque, picnic or summer get-together.
How to make a red cabbage and carrot slaw:
- The slaw itself is a mix of very finely shredded red cabbage and carrots mixed with a generous amount of parsley and cilantro for freshness and hemp seeds and sunflower seeds for a nutty crunch. But it’s the sweet/tart orange sesame vinaigrette that really ties it all together. The orange pairs nicely with the sweetness of the carrots while the sesame oil brings a lovely toasty flavor to the slaw.
- I like red cabbage here for its beautiful color and crunch but you could use a mix of Napa or savoy cabbage as well if you’d like.
- For the most fresh and flavorful slaw I’ll shred my carrots with a julienne peeler and my cabbage very thinly on a mandolin or with a sharp knife but a bag of pre-shredded carrots and cabbage will do in as well if you’re short on time. Grab a few bags from the store and you can have this slaw ready in a matter of minutes.
Crunchy, colorful and full of flavor, it’s definitely one of my summertime favorites and a go-to when I need an easy dish to bring.
More slaw recipes:
This simple Asian inspired red cabbage and carrot slaw is a crunchy and fresh addition to any meal.
For the dressing:
- 2 teaspoons/10ml apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon/15ml fresh orange juice
- The zest from half a small orange
- 1 Tablespoon/15ml coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoons/10ml toasted sesame oil
- 1 ½ Tablespoons/22ml extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
For the slaw:
- 8oz/227g about half a small red cabbage, finely shredded on a mandolin or with a sharp knife
- 8oz/226g shredded carrots
- 2 small scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 Tablespoons/20g hemp seeds
- 2 Tablespoon/14g sesame seeds
- ¼ cup/28g sunflower seeds
- Whisk together dressing ingredients.
- In a large bowl combine red cabbage, carrots, scallions, parsley, cilantro, hemp seeds, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds, drizzle in enough dressing to coat and toss to combine. Taste and season with additional dressing if needed and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Go Raw Sunflower Seeds with Sea Salt, Sprouted & Organic, 14 oz. Bag | Keto | Vegan | Gluten Free Snacks | Superfood
Nutiva Organic Raw Shelled Hemp Seeds
Coconut Secret Coconut Aminos (2 Pack) - 8 fl oz - Low Sodium Soy Sauce Alternative, Low-Glycemic - Organic, Vegan, Non-GMO, Gluten-Free, Kosher - Keto, Paleo - 96 Total Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 134Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 130mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information for recipes contained on this website, such as calories, fat, carbs, etc. are only estimates and are not guaranteed to be accurate.
(Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Find out what that means for you here.)
Sylvie Shirazi is the recipe developer and food photographer behind Gourmande in the Kitchen. For the last 10 years she's been making eating more healthfully easy and accessible with gluten-free, grain-free, paleo and vegan recipes that are free from processed ingredients.