An easy homemade açaí bowl featuring three kinds of berries that’s a little sweet, a little tart and totally satisfying.
I’m head over heels for smoothies. Not only are they delicious but they’re quick, portable and a great way to pack your first meal of the day with all kinds of nutrients, which is also why I’m partial to this açaí bowl since it shares all the same qualities.
It’s a bit of a hybrid, with a thick smoothie-like consistency that’s meant to be served in a bowl and eaten with a spoon like cereal, topped with plenty of fresh fruit, coconut flakes and nuts and/or seeds.
While beets are probably not the first ingredient you think of for a smoothie or a breakfast bowl, given a chance they might just surprise you. Their sweet earthy taste pairs well with the tartness and acidity of berries not to mention that the root is a good source of folate and betaine.
Chances are you've probably heard of açaí (ah-sigh-ee) the berry of an Amazonian palm tree by now. Native to the rain forests of South America, açaí berries have become quite famously known as a super-food.
The old adage that the more vibrant the color of a fruit or vegetable the higher its nutritional value certainly holds true with this deep purple berry, rich in anti-oxidants. And while you can’t find fresh açaí berries the pulp is available in the frozen section of many grocery stores these days.
Blended together with frozen berries and coconut milk for creaminess and you have yourself an easy make-ahead breakfast, snack, dessert (or whatever meal you choose) that’s a little sweet, a little tart and utterly refreshing.
An easy homemade acai bowl featuring three kinds of berries that’s a little sweet, a little tart and totally satisfying.
For the bowl:
- ½ cup/120ml light coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon/12g white chia seeds
- 1 small raw beet, peeled and finely chopped (or grated if you don’t have a high speed blender)
- ½ cup/75g frozen mixed berries (I like a blend with both raspberries and blueberries)
- 1 3.5oz/100g package of %100 frozen acai, run under warm water to thaw slightly
For the toppings:
- 1 Tablespoon/5g unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 Tablespoon/10g hemps seeds
- Sliced fresh fruit and berries to top
- In a small bowl mix together coconut milk and chis seeds and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile peel and grate the beet coarsely on a grater.
- Place the coconut milk chia seed mixture, grated beet, frozen mixed berries and slightly thawed acai packet in the blender, blend on high until thick and smooth.
- Serve immediately in shallow bowls with toppings or as a smoothie in a tall glass.
Top acai bowl with fresh fruit and seeds and nuts of your choice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 277Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 69mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 12gSugar: 20gProtein: 7g
Nutritional information for recipes contained on this website, such as calories, fat, carbs, etc. are only estimates and are not guaranteed to be accurate.
Sylvie Shirazi is the recipe developer and food photographer behind Gourmande in the Kitchen. For the last 10 years she's been making eating more healthfully easy and accessible with gluten-free, grain-free, paleo and vegan recipes that are free from processed ingredients.