An easy make-ahead, smoothie bowl featuring three kinds of berries that’s a little sweet, a little tart and totally satisfying.
I’m head over heels for smoothies. Not only are they delicious but they’re quick, portable and a great way to pack your first meal of the day with all kinds of nutrients, which is also why I’m partial to this breakfast bowl since it shares all the same qualities.
It’s a bit of a hybrid, with a thick smoothie-like consistency that’s meant to be served in a bowl and eaten with a spoon like cereal, topped with plenty of fresh fruit, coconut flakes and nuts and/or seeds.
While beets are probably not the first ingredient you think of for breakfast, given a chance they might just surprise you. Their sweet earthy taste pairs well with the tartness and acidity of the berries not to mention that the deep garnet root, traditionally valued for its blood and liver cleansing properties, is a good source of folate and betaine.
Chances are you’ve probably heard of açaí (ah-sigh-ee) the berry of an Amazonian palm tree by now. Native to the rain forests of South America, açaí berries have become quite famously known as a super-food.
The old adage that the more vibrant the color of a fruit or vegetable the higher its nutritional value certainly holds true with this deep purple berry, rich in both anti-oxidants and essential fatty acids. And while you can’t find fresh açaí berries the pulp is available in the frozen section of many grocery stores these days.
All blended together with a couple Brazil nuts for added selenium, chia seeds to keep you full and coconut milk to add creaminess and healthy fat to help you absorb all those vitamins and you have yourself an easy make-ahead breakfast, snack, dessert (or whatever meal you choose) that’s a little sweet, a little tart and utterly refreshing.
An easy make-ahead, acai bowl featuring three kinds of berries that’s a little sweet, a little tart and totally satisfying.
For the bowl:
- 1 large medjool date, pitted and soaked in warm water until soft
- ½ cup/120ml light coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon/12g chia seeds
- 1 brazil nut
- 1 small raw beet, peeled and finely chopped (or grated if you don’t have a high speed blender)
- ½ cup/75g frozen mixed berries (I like a blend of raspberries and blueberries)
- 1 3.5oz/100g package of %100 frozen acai, run under warm water to thaw slightly
For the toppings:
- 1 Tablespoon/5g unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 Tablespoon/10g hemps seeds
- Sliced fresh fruit and berries to top
- Start by soaking the medjool date while you prepare peel and chop or grate the beet.
- Place the coconut milk , chia seeds brazil nut and drained soaked date in the blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Add the chopped or grated beet, frozen mixed berries and slightly thawed acai packet. Blend on high, scraping down sides as necessary until thick and smooth.
- Serve immediately in shallow bowls with toppings or as a smoothie in a tall glass.
Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Vegetarian, Vegan, Raw, Paleo
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 326Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 74mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 13gSugar: 28gProtein: 7g
Nutritional information for recipes contained on this website, such as calories, fat, carbs, etc. are only estimates and are not guaranteed to be accurate.