Sweet potatoes and carrots are cut thinly into “fries” and tossed in a mixture of coconut oil kicked up with Moroccan spices like cumin, coriander and garlic.
I had never thought of myself as much of a sweet potato person until recently. The thought of them brought up memories of slickly sweet casseroles I’d rather soon forget. But last year I fell hard for these sunset-hued root vegetables and they’ve been on the menu ever since.
Roasting root vegetables is nothing new, but throw in a generous palmful of North African inspired aromatic spices and it becomes anything but ordinary.
So much more than your standard roast vegetables, these Moroccan spiced roasted sweet potatoes and carrots are bold with flavor.
The principle is fairly simple; mild sweet potatoes and carrots are cut into thin lengths, bathed in a mixture of coconut oil and kicked up with spices like cumin, coriander and garlic, then left to mix and mingle in the heat of the oven.
The quality time in a hot oven locks in the moisture, turning the insides soft and creamy, while the starchy edges become golden bronze and caramelized (not to mention the way it makes your house smell).
Once out of the oven, the natural sweetness of the roasted roots are off-set with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, a few chopped black olives and a sprinkle of chopped parsley which give the dish a hit of acidity, salt and freshness.
These spiced-up carrots and sweet potatoes are fast, foolproof and full of vibrant flavors. Silky on the inside and bold on the outside, this is the best of all worlds, a dish that works just as well warm from the oven or cold right out of the fridge the next day.
Serves Serves 4 to 6
These spiced up carrots and sweet potatoes are fast, foolproof and full of vibrant flavors.
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- a pinch of red pepper for extra spice (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 pound carrots, sliced in half and into thick strips
- 1 pound of sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips
- ¼ cup/ black Kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- The juice of one 1 small lemon or half a large
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Melt the coconut oil and whisk in the salt, spices and garlic.
- Toss the carrots and sweet potatoes with oil and spices and roast in a shallow baking pan in lower third of oven for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and tender.
- Squeeze the lemon over the warm vegetables and toss with the chopped olives.
- Top with chopped parsley and serve warm.