Slices of plums are covered with an almond frangipane in this rich and buttery fruit gratin.
Plums are everywhere; that can only mean one thing…winter is around the corner.
Oh, technically it’s still summer for a few days and then of course there’s fall in between, but it sneaks up on you. Winter lies in wait ready to pounce.
Summer turns to fall and fall turns to winter almost in the blink of an eye. It happens subtly at first; the days become shorter, the temperature drops and we start wearing long sleeves and pants instead of shorts and skirts. And before you know it the thick sweaters and the wool socks come out of hiding and the holidays are in full swing.
I know it’s inevitable but I’m not quite ready yet, summer is still in my heart. Spring I look forward to, summer I long for, fall however is a little bittersweet for me. I start to get nostalgic about the long days, the slower pace and warm nights.
The good news is the weather around here shows no signs of the approaching season so I’ve been enjoying it while I can along with those juicy late summer plums.
Slices of deeply hued red plums are arranged in a few shallow dishes, and covered with the frangipane. Less than half an hour later you end up with a buttery dessert that makes a lovely backdrop for the sweet tart plums.
The frangipane puffs up around the slices of plums the rich batter melding with the syrupy juices of the baked fruit.
This gratin is about contrast. The plums soften into the tender almond base while the sliced almonds sprinkled on top add a bit of crunch. The result is a center that is meltingly tender while the golden edges remain just a little crisp.
You could serve these with a little cream or yogurt on the side but they hardly need any accompaniment.
How are you enjoying plums?
Serves Serves 6
Slices of deeply hued red plums are covered with the frangipane and less than half an hour later you end up with a buttery dessert that makes a lovely backdrop for sweet tart plums.
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
- 6 plums, cut in halves and sliced thinly
- 100g/ 7 Tablespoons butter
- 100g/4 ½ Tablespoons honey
- 1 egg
- 100g/ 1 cup almond flour
- Pinch of salt
- 28g/1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter and let cool slightly. In a large bowl beat one egg with the honey. Add the cooled butter and whisk until combined. Add the almond flour and a pinch of salt and beat until fully incorporated.
- Butter or lightly grease 6 small shallow pie or gratin dishes and place the slices of plums inside in concentric circles. Cover with the frangipane batter and top each with a few sliced almonds.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden around the edges.
- Let cool on wire rack and serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
Gluten Free, Grain Free, Vegetarian, Paleo
Leftovers are also wonderful straight from the fridge.