This healthy but hearty Morrocan kale carrot salad features ribbons of kale and carrots dressed with an earthy Moroccan inspired dressing.
This Moroccan kale carrot salad is all about layers of textures and flavor. It’s one of those dishes that wakes up your taste buds with each bite. It’s a lively winter salad, although it’s quite well suited to every season really since the ingredients are available year-round.
On the plate, the salad is a colorful tangle of carrots and kale ribbons tossed in a spicy Moroccan inspired dressing you can twist and turn around like pasta on a fork. The flat fettuccine-like shape of the vegetable ribbons is a nice surface for the dressing to cling to.
The Moroccan inspired dressing is bold with the earthy flavors of cumin, cayenne and coriander. There are also golden raisins and black olives for sweetness and saltiness, and fresh orange juice and white wine vinegar for brightness and acidity.
This Moroccan kale and carrot ribbon salad holds up well at room temperature and even benefits from being made ahead of time, which makes it a great choice to pack for lunch. The key is to allow some time for the flavors to marry. The raw carrots and kale turn tender and more noodle-like the longer they sit in the dressing while the golden raisins plump and get juicy.
Hearty and satisfying, it’s a welcome addition to mealtime any time of year.
This healthy but hearty Moroccan kale carrot salad features ribbons of kale and carrots dressed with an earthy Moroccan inspired dressing.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- ¼ teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons/30ml freshly squeezed orange or tangerine juice
- ½ Tablespoon/ 7 ml white wine vinegar
- 1 bunch of Tuscan kale, stems removed, thinly sliced in a chiffonade
- 1 lb carrots, peeled, made into noodles with a vegetable peeler
- ¼ cup black olives, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- ¼ cup /40g golden raisins
- 4-5 deglet noor dates, chopped
- Whisk first 8 ingredients together in the bottom of a large bowl.
- Add the kale ribbons to the bowl and with clean hands, firmly massage the leaves to work in the dresing. The leaves should look a little darker and be softer in consistency.
- Add the carrots, chopped olives, mint, parsley, raisins, and dates and toss to combine. Let sit for at least 10-15 minutes for the flavors to combine.
- Toss lightly again before serving at room temperature.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 150Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 197mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 6gSugar: 17gProtein: 4g
Nutritional information for recipes contained on this website, such as calories, fat, carbs, etc. are only estimates and are not guaranteed to be accurate.