Prepare tender miso glazed sweet potatoes right on the barbecue or stove-top grill.
Summer is made for outdoor meals, and whether that means picnics in the park or evenings spent on the back deck, there’s a good chance grilling will be involved. It’s a nice to be able to bring the kitchen outdoors every once in a while to better appreciate the long days and extra sunshine.
The heat of the grill intensifies flavors and draws out the best in whatever you throw on it, and right now for me that would be sweet potatoes.
Grilled sweet potatoes cook up tender and creamy on the insides (thanks to a quick steam ahead of time) and are so much more fun than your standard baked potato on the grill.
How to Make Sweet Potatoes on the Grill:
The principle is simple; you gently steam thick slices of sweet potatoes until just tender to a knife.
Meanwhile you whisk together a miso-orange sauce that’s a little bit salty, a little bit sweet and a little bit spicy.
You then toss the still warm sweet potato slices with this umami-rich marinade and let it soak it up before skewering them and throwing them on the grill
Skewering the slices decrease the likelihood of stray slices falling through the grates but you can also lay the slices directly on the grill if you prefer, just make sure to choose sweet potatoes that are on the large side so you have nice big slices to work with.
The miso-orange sauce caramelizes and transforms into a sticky sweet and salty glaze with a bit of heat and great depth of flavor. Just a few minutes on each side, then sprinkle the skewers with some green onions and sesame seeds or gomashio before serving and you’re done!
More sweet potato recipes:
Miso Glazed Sweet Potatoes
Miso-orange glazed sweet potatoes cook up tender and creamy on the insides and are so much more fun than your standard baked potato on the grill.
For the sweet potatoes:
- 3-4 medium sweet potatoes, sliced into ½-inch rounds
- 2 Tablespoons/14g sesame seeds or gomashio
- 2 Tablespoons chopped green onions
- Coconut oil for the grill
For the orange miso glaze:
- 2 Tablespoons/30g mild white or yellow miso
- 2 Tablespoons/30ml fresh pressed orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons/ 30ml coconut nectar
- 2 Tablespoons/ 30ml coconut aminos
- 1 Tablespoon/15ml toasted sesame oil
- Steam the sliced sweet potatoes, in a steamer basket set over simmering water until tender but firm (about 5 minutes). Remove from basket and let cool.
- Preheat the grill to medium. Brush lightly with coconut oil.
- Whisk together the glaze ingredients in a large shallow dish and add the cooked sweet potato slices, turning to coat.
- Thread the sweet potatoes slices onto skewers and place on grill. Cook on both sides until the sweet potatoes are lightly charred, brushing each side with extra glaze as they cook (about 2-3 minutes each side).
- Transfer the skewers to a platter. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped green onions and drizzle any remaining glaze over the top. Serve warm or at room temperature.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 202Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 582mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 4gSugar: 17gProtein: 4g
Nutritional information for recipes contained on this website, such as calories, fat, carbs, etc. are only estimates and are not guaranteed to be accurate.
(Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Find out what that means for you here.)
Sylvie Shirazi is the recipe developer and food photographer behind Gourmande in the Kitchen. For the last 10 years she's been making eating more healthfully easy and accessible with gluten-free, grain-free, paleo and vegan recipes that are free from processed ingredients.
Elle @ Only Taste Matters says
I just love sweet potato anything but this recipe may just trump them all. Pinned!
I just bought some sweet potatoes! Was going to spiralize them, but .... these look awesome!
These look so yummy! I love glazes. I wonder if they would do ok in my cast iron grill pan?
I've made them on a grill pan before and it works that way too!
Marshie Boswell says
I've never grilled sweet potatoes! This looks so delicious!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen says
I've literally been grilling everything lately. Love the idea of skewering sweet potatoes and throwing them on the grill too. That miso glaze is perfection 🙂