This lemony green bean salad filled with figs and feta is as easy as it gets.
Some days all you want is a salad. When it’s hot and sticky outside a fresh salad sounds just right.
Green bean salads are one of my favorites to make around this time of year. I’ll cook up a big batch of green beans once and then throw them into salads all week. This lemony green bean salad is one I make quite often; it’s crunchy, nutty, salty and bright with both lemon juice and zest.
How to Make a Green Bean Salad:
This salad is as easy as it gets, you just quickly blanch some green beans until tender but with a bit of bite. Don’t stray too far while they’re on the stove so as not to overcook them (we’re talking 1-2 minutes here). Then plunge them into an ice bath to preserve their bright green color and toothsome snappiness.
Once that’s done, all that’s left is a bit of chopping and whisking. Gather up some juicy figs, salty feta and toasted almonds and chop those into large chunks. The dressing is a sweet/tart honey lemon vinaigrette, but what really steps the flavor up are the thin strips of lemon zest scattered throughout. The zing of citrus keeps the salad light and refreshing while still being substantial enough to satisfy.
I also like to slice the green beans into fairly small pieces so that each bite is loaded with flavor, like a chopped salad of sorts. Each forkful holds a mix of tender green beans, salty feta, fresh parsley, sweet figs and zesty lemons.
What are your favorite summer salads?
This lemony green bean salad is crunchy, nutty, salty and bright with both lemon juice and zest.
- 1lb/450g green beans, trimmed and cut into small pieces
- 1 ½ Tablespoons/22ml fresh lemon juice
- 1 ½ Tablespoons/30ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon/5ml raw honey
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8th teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Strips of lemon zest from one small or half a large lemon (use a peeler to make strips), cut into thin slivers
- ½ cup, roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
- 4 oz/113g feta cheese, (preferably sheep’s milk) cut into chunks
- 4-6 fresh figs, cut into large chunks
- 1/3 cup/37g almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
- 3 Tablespoons/30g shelled hemp seeds
- Prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl with ice and water and set aside. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add green beans and cook for 1-2 minutes (until just tender), then strain and plunge the beans into the ice water. Gently pat dry between two clean kitchen towels and set aside while making the dressing.
- In a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, honey, salt and pepper. Add the green beans to bowl and toss.
- Add the chopped parsley, feta cheese, figs, toasted almonds, and hemp seeds and gently toss to combine. Season to taste and serve.
(For Paleo omit feta)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 267Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 388mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 6gSugar: 18gProtein: 8g
Nutritional information for recipes contained on this website, such as calories, fat, carbs, etc. are only estimates and are not guaranteed to be accurate.