It’s easy to make your own fresh from the oven, garlic and herb gluten-free breadsticks at home.
There are few things quite as irresistible as soft breadsticks fresh from the oven. If you’ve ever devoured a basket of them at a restaurant before the meal has even arrived then you know what I’m talking about.
But while most breadsticks you’ll find at restaurants are regrettably gluten-filled, you can make you own irresistibly soft and chewy gluten-free breadsticks at home in about 30 minutes!
Sometimes you just need a slice of bread with dinner, something to dip into a warm bowl of soup or to soak up that extra sauce with, that’s when these garlic and herb breadsticks come in handy.
It’s a no-knead, no-yeast dough which means it’s a no fuss, no wait kind of bread that can be made at a moment’s notice. With just a few minutes you can have a batch in the oven ready to be devoured by the time dinner is ready.
How to make gluten-free breadsticks:
- Making the dough is quite simple; all you need are a bowl and a spoon. The dough is an almond flour and tapioca based one that is quickly stirred together with some oil and water then poured into a pan and drizzled with a flavorful garlic and herb topping. Instead of yeast which requires proofing and waiting, a combination of baking soda and baking powder gives the bread immediate lift.
- While delicious plain, it’s the topping that makes these breadsticks extra irresistible. The topping is a mixture of olive oil, garlic, parsley, oregano and a pinch of red pepper for heat. It sinks into the bread as it bakes giving it a rich flavor and soft texture.
- Baked until lightly golden the bread is then cooled slightly and cut lengthwise into sticks before serving. Enjoy the breadsticks as an appetizer with a side of your favorite marinara sauce or alongside a meal.
Prefer a Thin and Crisp Breadstick? Try These:
It’s easy to make your own fresh from the oven, gluten-free, garlic and herb soft breadsticks at home.
- 1 ½ cups/168g almond flour
- 1 cup/96g tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt (plus extra for sprinkling)
- 2 Tablespoons/30ml apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons/30ml extra virgin olive oil (divided use)
- ⅓ cup/90ml filtered water
- 1 large egg
- 1 clove of garlic, finely grated
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛th teaspoon red pepper
- Marinara sauce for serving if desired (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine the almond flour, tapioca, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil and water and mix with a fork. Add egg and mix thoroughly until well combined.
- Pour dough into prepared pan and smooth out to edges.
- In a small bowl combine the remaining 1 Tablespoon of olive oil along with the dried herbs and spices.
- Drizzle flavored oil over dough and lightly spread to the edges with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle
with a pinch of additional salt.
- Bake the breadsticks for 23-25 minutes until set in the middle and lightly golden around the edges.
- Remove and transfer to wire rack to cool for 10 minutes before cutting lengthwise into strips and serving warm with marinara sauce on the side if desired.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container overnight. Re-heat bread in a 350°F oven until warm (about 5 minutes).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 253Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 328mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 6g
Nutritional information for recipes contained on this website, such as calories, fat, carbs, etc. are only estimates and are not guaranteed to be accurate.
Sylvie Shirazi is the recipe developer and food photographer behind Gourmande in the Kitchen. For the last 10 years she's been making eating more healthfully easy and accessible with gluten-free, grain-free, paleo and vegan recipes that are free from processed ingredients.