This simple and hearty gluten-free fruit and nut bread is quick and easy to make.
It’s officially the start of baking season, and I for one am ready to pull out those mixing bowls and crank up the oven!
There’s nothing quite like the satisfaction of biting into a warm cookie , or the lingering scent of baked goods in the air. And while bold flavors like cinnamon and ginger tend to dominate this time of year, I also appreciate the more subtle flavors of this fruit and nut bread.
No, not the often mocked and reviled fruitcake, but a quick-bread with a hearty yet understated character that’s nothing like the aforementioned artificially colored candied fruit nightmare. This loaf is packed with chewy bits of dried fruit like dates, raisins and cherries along with nuggets of pecans and hazelnuts, in a batter lightly scented of vanilla with just a pinch of cinnamon.
It’s a snacking cake, the kind you serve for breakfast, brunch, or an afternoon nibble, warm or toasted with plenty of butter alongside. It’s just barely sweet so as to stand up to both sweet and savory toppings like fruit butters, sliced pears, a spread of goat cheese or melted brie.
What I also love is that it’s a one bowl kind of loaf that doesn’t even require a mixer. Everything is quickly stirred together and poured into the pan (or muffin tins if you prefer) within minutes. What you end up with is a bread that’s moist, chewy, dense and nutty in every bite. If you’re need a hostess gift this season, consider doubling the recipe and wrapping up a loaf to take with you as it keeps well for days.
A simple and hearty snacking quick-bread filled with dried fruit and nuts.
- ½ cup/120g cashew butter
- ½ cup/120g roasted almond butter (smooth)
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup/48g coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (use cornstarch-free for paleo)
- 8-10 small deglet noor dates, chopped (plus more to top)
- 1/3 cup/50g raisins (plus more to top)
- 1/3 cup/53g dried cherries (plus more to top)
- 1/3 cup/46g hazelnuts, chopped (plus more to top)
- ½ cup/62g pecans, chopped (plus more to top)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Prepare two 6 inch loaf pans with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together cashew butter, almond butter and eggs until smooth. Whisk in coconut sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, salt, baking powder until well combined. Stir in dried fruit and nuts.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pans and place on a baking sheet. Top with extra dried fruit and top. Bake for about 30-35 minutes, until the loaves are puffed and browned and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the loaves to a rack and let cool to room temperature before slicing.
Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Paleo, Vegetarian
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 149Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 80mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 4g
Nutritional information for recipes contained on this website, such as calories, fat, carbs, etc. are only estimates and are not guaranteed to be accurate.
(Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Find out what that means for you here.)