These thin and crispy gluten-free, vegan and paleo coconut cookies are buttery, light as air and melt-in-your-mouth good.
It’s always around the holidays that time seems to accelerate to break neck speed. How is it that Thanksgiving is already behind us when Halloween seems like only yesterday and summer is still fresh in my mind? Nevertheless, I’m looking forward to pulling out the decorations and getting festive before the rest of the season rushes by.
But first: cookies. It’s not the holidays without a batch of cookies in the oven, so I have a crispy little gluten-free coconut cookie for your cookie platter this year.
One can never have too many cookie recipes in their repertoire and these thin and crispy paleo coconut cookies are so light and buttery and full of coconut goodness.
They’re an unassuming cookie, pale gold in color with flecks of coconut throughout, not the type of cookie that shouts “look at me!” but deserving of your attention nonetheless because they are ever so light and airy with a melt-in-your-mouth texture that will have you reaching for another and another.
They have a sandy shortbread-like texture but with more of a crunch and less of the hassle. There’s no rolling pin, chilling or slicing involved. In fact the whole thing is pretty much a one bowl number (minus the last minute roll in coconut) so it’s a good one to get the kids involved with. It’s also rather quick, which means you can get a batch in the oven in no time when the mood strikes.
It’s one of those recipes I turn to again and again. They’re perfect for every occasion like family gatherings, afternoon coffee or tea, after dinner nibble, cookie exchange, homemade gift etc.…
I should also mention that they pack easily and keep well for days, making them an ideal homemade gift, and since they’re gluten-free, vegan and paleo everyone on your list can enjoy them.
So let’s all get in the kitchen and start baking, because who doesn’t need a delicious little cookie that whips up in a flash in their life right about now?
These crispy gluten-free, vegan and paleo coconut cookies are buttery, light as air and melt-in-your-mouth good.
- ¼ cup/56g palm shortening
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- ¼ cup/60g maple syrup
- ½ cup/56g almond flour
- ½ cup/64g arrowroot flour
- ⅔ cup/60g finely shredded coconut (plus more for rolling)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl beat together palm shortening, vanilla, salt and maple syrup. Add almond flour, arrowroot and shredded coconut. Beat until dough comes together, and then gently form into a ball.
- Sprinkle more shredded coconut in a small flat dish.
- Pinch small Tablespoon sized pieces of the dough off and roll into balls in the palm of your hands (dough will be sticky), then gently roll in the shredded coconut until completely covered.
- Place rolled cookie dough balls on parchment lined baking sheet. Gently press cookies with the bottom of a glass to flatten into thick disks.
- Bake until edges are golden, 10-13 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack and let cool completely (cookies will harden and crisp as they cool).
- Store cookies in an airtight container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 74Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 16mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
Nutritional information for recipes contained on this website, such as calories, fat, carbs, etc. are only estimates and are not guaranteed to be accurate.
Sylvie Shirazi is the recipe developer and food photographer behind Gourmande in the Kitchen. For the last 10 years she's been making eating more healthfully easy and accessible with gluten-free, grain-free, paleo and vegan recipes that are free from processed ingredients.