Start the day off right with a hearty and sustaining bowl of paleo coconut porridge topped with a quick blackberry, blueberry sauce.
Cold winter mornings call for a hearty, warming breakfast and there’s nothing quite like a bowl of creamy paleo coconut porridge to do the job.
A piping hot bowl fortifies from the inside out; it’s extra insulation against whatever Mother Nature has in store outside.
I should start by saying that there a few things that set this porridge apart from the usual.
What is coconut porridge made with?
First, it doesn’t contain any oats, wheat or rice. Rather what you’ll find here is a mix of coconut, cashews and hemp seeds that are blitzed together then gently heated on the stove until thick and creamy. The resulting porridge is velvety (similar to cream of rice or cream of wheat) but with a nice chewy bite from the coconut for texture.
Second, it doesn’t require much time on the stove to cook, so it’s perfect for busy mornings. Just a few minutes at night before you head off to bed and you’ll have a hearty and healthy start to your day ready for you in no time.
And lastly it has staying power, to keep you going through the morning thanks to the healthy fats and fiber from the nuts and seeds.
I like to serve it with a quick sauce made with blackberries and blueberries and a little coconut milk on the side to pour around the edges but any of your favorite toppings will do. Fresh or dried fruit with a drizzle of maple syrup or honey is nice here as well. The recipe here makes enough for two to share, or save the other half re-heat it for breakfast the following day.
Start the day off right with a hearty and sustaining bowl of grain-free paleo coconut porridge topped with a blackberry, blueberry sauce.
For the Porridge:
- ¼ cup/28g raw cashews
- 6 Tablespoons/ 30 g unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 Tablespoons/ 30 g shelled hemp seeds
- 2 small dates (or 1 Tablespoon honey for a non-vegan version)
- 1 ½ cups/ 360ml filtered water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons/ 14g coconut flour
- Coconut milk or other nut milk of choice for serving (optional)
For the Berry Sauce:
- ½ cup/70g frozen blackberries
- ½ cup/93g frozen wild blueberries
- 2 teaspoons/ 10ml fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons/30ml coconut syrup (or honey for a non-vegan version)
Prepare the Porridge:
- The night before combine the cashews, coconut, hemp seeds and dates if using with the filtered water in a large jar or glass container. Cover and let soak in fridge overnight.
- The next morning pour into blender jar and add the honey if not using dates, vanilla, salt and coconut flour. Blend on high until smooth.
Make the Berry Sauce:
- Combine the frozen berries, lemon juice and sweetener of choice in a small saucepan or skillet. Bring mixture to a boil while stirring.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; gently simmer 3 minutes or so until sauce is syrupy. (You can also make the berry sauce the night before and reheat in the morning)
Cook the Porridge:
- Pour porridge mixture into a small saucepan over medium-low heat and cook whisking continuously until porridge thickens and becomes creamy.
- Serve in bowls with warm berry sauce on top and a little coconut milk on the side if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 302Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gSodium: 116mgCarbohydrates: 35gSugar: 22gProtein: 4g