It’s no surprise to regular readers that I tend to like meals made with as little fuss and pretense as possible. That’s especially true come spring as the best meals of the season require minimal fussing to begin with because the produce is so fresh and tender during this time. The sunny skies, mild days and light rains truly work their magic, producing a bounty of beautiful fruits and vegetables.
Everything in spring embodies freshness and lightness. Fresh salads are made with such ease during this time, and it should also come as no surprise to those of you that have been coming here regularly that I eat a lot of salads.
Like soup, I could eat a one every day and never tire of it. Frankly, when it’s warm and sunny out, all you want sometimes is a salad, especially when it’s light, crisp and filled with the best the season has to offer.
Sometimes I get on a kick; I become mildly obsessed with an ingredient, and find ways to sneak it into almost everything I make. Recently my love affair is with fennel and since we’re already on the subject of salads, I thought I would offer you another favorite recipe of mine for this delicious and delicately flavored vegetable along with a couple of springtime additions.
The salad simply tastes like the season. This double pea and fennel salad is fresh, easy and very spring-like. A jumble of thinly sliced sugar snap peas, fennel, and tender, mildly sweet baby peas are dressed with an apple cider vinaigrette. It’s a light and refreshing combination with a satisfying crunch.
I was thrilled to contribute this recipe to the Spring 2012 issue of Flavour Fiesta (pg.74-78) as well as answer a few questions about me, the blog, my cooking and food photography. It’s a beautiful issue filled with fresh ideas and recipes for the spring season published and edited by Divya Yadava, I hope you check it out.
Sugar Snap Pea and Fennel Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or walnut oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, tough strings removed, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into thin strips (reserve a few fronds for garnish)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup toasted walnuts
- Whisk together the vinegar, oil, mustard, shallots and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the snap peas, peas, fennel, tarragon to bowl.
- Toss to coat and season to taste with pepper.
- Garnish with fennel fronds and top with toasted walnuts. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if necessary.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Diet tags: Gluten Free, Grain Free, Raw
Number of servings (yield): 2 to 4
Copyright © 2010-2012 gourmandeinthekitchen.com
What do you look forward to in Spring?