Soup, it soothes the sick and chases away the cold; a simple dish that offers us warmth and nourishment when we most need it. I find comfort in a bowl of soup. I rarely tire of it and am fairly certain I could eat it every day of the year. In fact, I think I’ve eaten soup everyday this winter.
I know that with spring approaching the “official” soup season will soon be ending, but frankly I see no reason to limit soup to just one season of the year. Who couldn’t use a bowl of comfort all year-round? A bowl of soup is ideal lunch fare and always satisfying. I find myself craving the subtlety and clarity of flavors that a good soup offers for the minimal effort that is required.
What I have here for you is the soup that I have and will be eating over and over again for some time to come. It’s a fairly simple affair, a smooth soup, in a rich and saturated shade of green.
The soup gets its creaminess from pureeing, which gives it all the rich texture of a cream soup without using any dairy. Steamed broccoli and some tender, leafy green spinach take a tumble into the blender and get blitzed until silky and smooth. A crumble of salty feta, a few spinach leaves and a drizzle of olive oil are the final flourish.
With no long simmering time, it’s a convenient way to clear out the vegetable drawer while making a fast and satisfying meal full of vitamins and nutrients. This easy, healthy broccoli and spinach soup can be thin or thick, depending upon the amount of water you add.
This is creamy, good-for-you, soul soothing food you’ll want to eat all year-round.
Serves Serves 2 to 4
The soup gets its creaminess from pureeing, which gives it all the rich texture of a cream soup without using any dairy.
15 minPrep Time
- 3 cups/ 270g steamed broccoli
- 1 ½ cups/ 42g fresh spinach leaves (reserve a few for garnish if desired)
- Few sprigs of flat leaf parsley, stems removed
- 1 ½ Tablespoons/ 15g of shelled hemp seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon or a small pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 cup/ 240ml hot water
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil to finish
- 1 oz feta cheese, crumbled to top
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place steamed broccoli, fresh spinach, parsley, hempseeds and salt in the pitcher of a high speed blender.
- Add 1 cup of hot water and blend on high for about 3 to 4 minutes or until completely silky and smooth.
- Serve topped with chunks of feta cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Garnish with a few spinach leaves if desired and season with freshly ground black pepper.
What are your favorite soups?