With three layers of coconut from coconut milk, shredded coconut and coconut water this triple coconut sorbet is packed with flavor.
The mercury is on the rise and the sun is already shining brightly around here which means three things: one, it’s going to be a hot summer; two, a bounty of fresh summer fruits are going to be on the menu for a while; and three, there’s going to be a lot of this coconut sorbet in my freezer.
Summer more than any season calls for unfussy foods; simple salads, raw vegetables and fresh fruit are common appearances at the dinner table and plump, juicy cherries are one of the season’s fleeting pleasures.
With their taut skin and firm but juicy flesh, these ruby hued beauties don’t last for long, and while I’m happy to eat them straight off the stem, I also love them liquored up in a quick bath of kirsch to give them a little extra zip.
With a bit of sweetener, a drizzle of cherry brandy and a squeeze of lime you have yourself some tipsy cherries that are begging to be eaten with a scoop of ice cream or sorbet. I paired mine with a light and refreshing triple coconut sorbet.
Best of all there’s no cooking here; stem, pit and stir is all there is to this recipe.
With three layers of coconut from coconut milk, shredded coconut and coconut water this sorbet is packed with coconutty flavor yet is refreshingly delicate in taste. The coconut gives it a hint of creaminess, shredded coconut joins the mix to give a toothsome chew, while super hydrating and potassium packed coconut water lends a slight sweetness and a punch of electrolytes. Serve yourself a generous scoop and a spoonful of boozy cherries over and along-side and enjoy the start of the season!
A vegan sorbet with three layers of coconut from coconut milk, shredded coconut and coconut water served with Kirsch soaked cherries.
For the Coconut Sorbet:
- 1 can/400ml coconut milk
- ¼ cup/60ml real maple syrup (or honey for a non-vegan version)
- ½ cup/40g unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup/120ml coconut water or filtered water (if using filtered water add 1 extra Tablespoon of maple syrup)
- The juice of ½ a lime (save the other half for the cherries)
- A pinch of sea salt
For the Kirch Soaked Cherries:
- 2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- 1 Tablespoons Kirsch (cherry brandy) or leave out for a child friendly version
- 2 Tablespoons/30ml maple syrup (or honey for a non-vegan version)
- The juice of ½ a lime
For the Kirsch Soaked Cherries:
- (Start the night before for a stronger tasting cherry sauce.)
- Combine the cherries, kirsch, and maple syrup in a small bowl. Cover and let stand 1 hour or preferably overnight in the fridge until the cherries soften and become juicy.
- In the meantime make the coconut sorbet.
For the Coconut Sorbet:
- Chill the coconut water and coconut milk ahead of time if possible.
- Combine the coconut milk, maple syrup, shredded coconut, water, lime juice and a pinch of salt in a high speed blender and pulse briefly until blended.
- Refrigerate until cold (about 1 hour) if not using pre-chilled coconut milk or skip this step if using pre-chilled liquids.
- Pour coconut sorbet mixture into your ice cream maker and churn according to directions.
- Scoop into a freezer safe container and let firm for at least 1-2 hours before serving or overnight. (If you leave the sorbet in the freezer overnight remove it and let thaw briefly for 5 to 10 minutes before scooping.)
- Place a scoop of coconut sorbet in four pre-chilled dessert glasses. Spoon cherries and soaking liquid around the sorbet, and serve immediately.
Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Vegetarian, Vegan, Paleo
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 228Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 80mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 22gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information for recipes contained on this website, such as calories, fat, carbs, etc. are only estimates and are not guaranteed to be accurate.