Dark and intense, these aren't your ordinary macaroon cookies.
These deep, rich, chocolate macaroon thumbprint cookies are one of my favorites to make around the holidays. With just a handful of ingredients they require a minimal amount of fuss to make and bake which is always welcome during the season when days seem to pass at a lightning fast pace.
These little cookies are just a little crispy around the edges and nice and chewy on the insides from the shredded coconut. The centers are filled with smooth bittersweet chocolate for an extra chocolate punch.
Shaping these into thumbprint cookies is by no means required (if you’re really pressed for time you can just make traditional macaroon shapes) but the chocolate filling really takes them to another level of chocolaty goodness so I’d highly recommend it. And while you’re at it splurge and use a good quality chocolate, something more on the bittersweet side; I promise it’s worth it.
The batter comes together in a flash over a saucepan filled with water; then you just scoop small mounds onto a baking sheet and press down the centers to make indentations for the chocolate filling. They may seem a bit soft when they first come out of the oven, but they firm up as they cool so be sure not to over bake them.
A little sprinkle of fleur de sel across the top brings out the complexity in the chocolate without stealing the spotlight, but it’s entirely optional.
Rich, dense and almost truffle-like in intensity these cookies are a chocolate lovers dream come true!
What are your favorite holiday cookies?
Dark and intense, these aren’t your ordinary macaroon cookies.
For the Cookies:
- 4 ounces/113g bittersweet chocolate (at least 70%), finely chopped
- ¼ cup/48g coconut sugar
- ¼ cup/60ml coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups/120g unsweetened shredded coconut
- A pinch of sea salt
For the Chocolate Filling:
- 3 ounces/84g bittersweet chocolate (at least 70%), finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon/15ml coconut oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium heat-proof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water (making sure that the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water) combine the chopped chocolate, coconut sugar, coconut milk, vanilla and a pinch of salt.
- Melt gently over very low-heat stirring constantly until fully melted and combined. Remove bowl from heat and stir in shredded coconut. Let sit for a minute or so to allow the mixture to hold its shape when scooped.
- Scoop up packed tablespoonfuls or use a small ice cream scoop to form small balls of the mixture and place onto the parchment-lined baking sheets about 1 inch apart. Press an indentation into the center of each cookie. (I used the back of a small melon baller. )
- Bake, rotating the baking sheets halfway through for 12-14 minutes. Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack. Press the indentations in the center again to create a pocket for the filling and let cool completely.
- In the meantime, gently melt the remaining chopped chocolate and coconut oil in a bowl set over simmering water as before until just melted and smooth.
- When the cookies are completely cool, use a teaspoon to fill the indentations with the melted chocolate mixture.
- Let sit until firm or place in the fridge for a few minutes to speed up the process. Store the macaroons in an airtight container at room temperature.
Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Paleo-Friendly, Vegan
NOTE: Macaroons will soften when stored overnight in an airtight container
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 90Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 23mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g
Nutritional information for recipes contained on this website, such as calories, fat, carbs, etc. are only estimates and are not guaranteed to be accurate.
Sylvie Shirazi is the recipe developer and food photographer behind Gourmande in the Kitchen. For the last 10 years she's been making eating more healthfully easy and accessible with gluten-free, grain-free, paleo and vegan recipes that are free from processed ingredients.