Grilled zucchini and summer squash are served with a cumin yogurt sauce in this light summer side.
I hope you’ll try these grilled vegetables with cumin yogurt sauce for a light summer dinner, or for a party as a side. It’s all really quite easy.
The zucchini and summer squash get either broiled in a hot oven, or grilled until the flesh inside yields just slightly. To finish, it gets a good dose of chopped parsley and a drizzle of cumin scented yogurt sauce, which rounds out the flavors and unites the whole.
Don’t let the simplicity of the recipe fool you, it has big flavors. Grilling/broiling the zucchini and summer squash adds a hint of smoky flavor that pairs nicely with the earthy, nutty taste of the cumin and tahini in the yogurt sauce.
You can make the yogurt sauce a few days ahead of time and leave it in the fridge. But, that doesn’t quite capture the benefit. What’s really happening during that quality time is the mingling together; the longer it rests, the more time the flavors have to combine.
The flavor of this sauce is bright but rich and Greek yogurt, makes it extra creamy and tangy, while still keeping it light.
I love the contrast between the warm squash and cool yogurt sauce, the subtle nuttiness of the lightly spiced sauce works beautifully with zucchini and summer squash, but I would venture it would be wonderful with all kinds of vegetables.
Serves Serves about 6
The contrast between the warm squash and cool yogurt sauce, the subtle nuttiness of the lightly spiced sauce works beautifully with zucchini and summer squash.
20 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
- 1 cup/ 227g plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon/ 15 ml tahini
- 2 Tablespoon / 30 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon McCormick roasted ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- About 6 (each) zucchini and summer squash, sliced lengthwise
- 4 Tablespoons/ 60 ml olive oil (divided)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Mix together the first 5 ingredients along with a pinch of salt and 2 Tablespoons of the olive oil. Set aside while making the vegetables.
- Heat broiler. Arrange vegetables in a single layer, cut side up on two baking sheets. Brush on both sides with 2 tablespoons of oil and season with salt and pepper. Broil until deep golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Arrange coated vegetables on grill rack (over medium-high heat); grill vegetables 8 minutes or until just tender, turning once. Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Place vegetables on a platter. Sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve with sauce.
Gluten Free, Grain Free, Vegetarian, Primal
(This recipe is part of my easy entertaining dinner party menu, find the full menu here.)