Watermelon radishes are shaved paper thin and dressed with a citrus avocado vinaigrette.
Slice through its unassuming pale green exterior and a striking, brilliant magenta center awaits you.
With an unexpected inner beauty that captivates, this beautiful jewel-toned vegetable commonly known as a watermelon radish adds a lovely color and refreshing crunch to salads and is worth seeking out. Pleasantly crunchy, a bit milder and sweeter than its red-skinned cousin it’s a real gem of the vegetable world.
While frankly I’m happy to enjoy them raw, sliced and sprinkled with a generous pinch of good sea salt when I find them, they also make for an elegant salad.
I’ll take any excuse to pull out my mandoline, so I’m particularly fond of serving them shaved paper thin and layered on a platter dressed with a bright citrus and avocado oil vinaigrette.
It’s a Carpaccio of sorts; a riff on the traditional with a fresh springtime twist. The thin slices of the watermelon radishes are first tenderized with a sprinkle of salt, then drizzled with fresh orange juice and avocado oil and topped with wild arugula and creamy slices of avocado.
The whole thing radiates with vibrant colors and bright flavors. The peppery bite of the arugula makes a nice foil to the richness of the avocado and crispness of the radish slices. I also like to add a few crumbles of tangy goat cheese to finish the whole thing off but that’s entirely optional and up to you.
Part of what makes this salad feel like a special occasion is in the presentation but it’s equally wonderful all heaped together like any other salad if you’d prefer and entirely light and inviting.
A light and refreshing salad of thinly sliced watermelon radishes topped with arugula and avocado.
- 4 Watermelon radishes
- 1 small avocado, thinly sliced
- 2oz of baby or wild arugula
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 Tablespoons/ 45ml Avocado oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 Tablespoon freshly chopped herbs such as chives and parsley
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (plus more to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 oz Fresh goat cheese for serving (optional)
- Peel the outer layer of the watermelon radishes if thick. With a sharp knife or mandoline, thinly slice the radishes into rounds.
- Sprinkle sea salt over the radishes in a colander set over a bowl. Cover and set aside for at least 20 minutes.
- Drain radishes, and lightly pat dry. Arrange the slices on a serving platter or individual plates.
- Make the vinaigrette by whisking together the orange juice, avocado oil and fresh herbs. Add a pinch of sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Toss the arugula with half the dressing. Place a handful of dressed arugula on top of the sliced radishes and top with a few slices of avocado.
- Garnish with crumbles of fresh goat cheese if desired and drizzle the remaining dressing over the top of the radishes. Serve immediately.
Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Vegetarian, For Paleo and Vegetarian omit goat cheese.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 233Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 206mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information for recipes contained on this website, such as calories, fat, carbs, etc. are only estimates and are not guaranteed to be accurate.