Say goodbye to summer and hello to fall with this seasonal chèvre and fresh fig salad.
I’m taking a little time off to adjust to life with a newborn, but I have some super talented guest posters stopping in over the next couple of weeks that you are going to love. Next up is Rose from The Clean Dish sharing a late summer/early fall salad brimming with juicy figs and creamy goat cheese.
I am massively excited to be posting at Gourmande in the Kitchen today – thanks for having me, Sylvie!
While I am already fully embracing fall (although there are very few signs of it in North Carolina), I couldn’t decide whether I should honor the last few days of summer or celebrate my favorite season a little bit ahead of time!
It turns out you can do both! No other fruit says late summer/early fall like figs. Depending on your growing region, figs can be harvested from June until November!
On top of it, our local goat cheese farm started their fall cheese making session. After volunteering this spring to socialize baby goats (best job ever!), I feel a personal connection and fully appreciate what these little guys share with us.
So, making this salad was a no-brainer. With all-local ingredients, I am bringing you this Chèvre and Fresh Fig Salad with Honey Poppy Seed Vinaigrette.
Substitutions are easy; if you don’t care for goat cheese, add feta cheese instead! Try plums instead of figs if you’d like to switch out the fruit.
This salad works wonderfully as an appetizer or light main course lunch or dinner. Enjoy!
This goat cheese and fresh fig salad works wonderfully as an appetizer or light main course lunch or dinner.
For the salad:
- 2 large handfuls leafy greens (e.g baby spinach, arugula, kale)
- 1/4 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoon Chèvre, crumbled
- 4 figs, washed and cut in half
- 2 Tablespoons sliced almonds
- fresh chives, chopped
For the vinaigrette:
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add all dressing ingredients to a jar with lid and shake until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine greens and onions and toss with 2 tablespoons of vinaigrette.
- Transfer to plates, add chèvre and figs and top with sliced almonds and chives. Serve right away.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 214Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 124mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 3gSugar: 10gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information for recipes contained on this website, such as calories, fat, carbs, etc. are only estimates and are not guaranteed to be accurate.