This healthy and nourishing creamy broccoli spinach soup is packed with green vegetables.
I’ve always found comfort in a bowl of soup. I rarely tire of it and am fairly certain I could eat it every day of the year; in fact I think I’ve eaten soup almost every day this winter. I know that with spring approaching the “official” soup season will soon be ending, but frankly I see no reason to limit soup to just one season of the year. Who couldn’t use an easy way to get extra vegetables into your diet all year-round? Not to mention that a bowl of soup is ideal lunch fare; it’s easy to make a big batch for the week and just re-heat when needed.
What I have here for you today is the soup that I’ve been sipping on lately, especially when I’m feeling the need for some extra green in my diet. It’s a fairly simple affair, a silky smooth spinach and broccoli blender soup packed with green vegetables.
Ingredients for broccoli spinach soup:
The inspiration for this soup comes from Bieler’s broth, which if you haven’t heard of before is a simple soup often containing a combination of celery, zucchini, green beans and parsley created by Dr. Henry Bieler as a way to sooth digestion and heal the body while still nourishing it with much needed vitamins and minerals. Usually used as part of a cleanse or fast, the soup gets its silkiness from pureeing, which gives it a smooth texture soup without using any dairy, but it’s also a great base for making an easy vegetable packed soup.
I’ve added broccoli and spinach to mine along with garlic, green onions and a bit of olive oil to dial up the flavor. With no long simmering time, it’s a convenient way to make a fast and satisfying meal full of vitamins and nutrients. A quick simmer on the stove and into the blender it goes to get blitzed until silky and smooth.
I’ve made this broccoli spinach soup at least once a week for the past few months and don’t plan on stopping anytime soon, because this is the kind of good-for-you, comforting food you’ll want to eat all year-round.
More blended soups:
This healthy and nourishing homemade vegan broccoli spinach soup is packed with green vegetables.
- 4 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 head of broccoli, stalks peeled and stems and stalk coarsely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 3oz/85g green beans, chopped
- 1 large handful flat leaf parsley, stems removed
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fine seas salt
- 4 cups/ ml filtered water
- 3oz/85g baby spinach
- Place celery, broccoli, zucchini, green beans, parsley, garlic, green onion, olive oil, salt and water in a large soup or stock pot. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes until vegetables are softened, stir in spinach and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Blend soup (in batches if necessary) in a blender until smooth. Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 121Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 156mgCarbohydrates: 18gSugar: 3gProtein: 8g
Sylvie Shirazi is the recipe developer and food photographer behind Gourmande in the Kitchen. For the last 10 years she's been making eating more healthfully easy and accessible with gluten-free, grain-free, paleo and vegan recipes that are free from processed ingredients.