And then the tomatoes arrived.
Vibrant hues of crimson, gold, and coral take center stage at the market demanding the spotlight this time of year. With such a tempting array I was spoiled for choice. There were all the usual late summer suspects but it was the little red baby tomatoes that came home with me this time. These beauties enticed me with their diminutive size and brilliant color.
Perfect all on their own, the bright acidity of vine ripe tomatoes is perfectly at home with creamy fresh mozzarella, fruity olive oil and a good pinch of sea salt. And that is just how I planned on eating them, but I made sure to save a few for this gluten free and grain free tomato, olive and thyme focaccia.
Pizza’s slightly fluffier sibling, focaccia is a moist and tender vehicle for a variety of flavors. Here juicy little tomatoes meet up with fresh thyme and take a tumble with salty black olives before being spread atop a cushion of cheese stuffed dough.
A little olive oil and heat boosts the sweetness of the red gems, concentrating their flavor and taming their acidity. The focaccia itself is made with copious amounts of cheese held together with just the slightest amount of coconut flour.
Moist and chewy, it’s a cross between soft bread sticks and a deep dish pizza crust. A veil of herbed tomatoes and olives grace the top along with shreds of fresh mozzarella. As it bakes the toppings are pushed deep into the dough, enveloping the wrinkled edges of the roasted tomatoes.
Serves Serves 6 to 8
Moist and chewy, this foccacia a cross between soft bread sticks and a deep dish pizza crust.
25 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
- 4 eggs
- 4 Tablespoons plain yogurt
- ¼ cup/ 30g coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8th teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup/ 112g grated fontina and parmesan cheese
- 8oz / 228g baby tomatoes, sliced in half
- ½ Tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup/60g black olives, pitted and in quarters or halves
- 2 Tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 oz/ 50g Fresh whole milk mozzarella, cut into chunks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Beat the eggs and yogurt in a bowl until well combined.
- Combine the coconut flour, baking soda, salt and cheese in medium sized bowl.
- Combine the tomatoes, olive oil, thyme leaves, olives and mozzarella in another bowl, add a pinch of salt and pepper and set aside.
- Add the beaten eggs and yogurt mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the mixture in one large or two smaller oval shapes with the back of a spoon or spatula.
- Top with the tomato, olive and mozzarella mixture and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly puffed and golden around the edges.
- Remove parchment from baking sheet and let cool on wire rack.
- Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
Gluten Free, Grain Free, Vegetarian, Primal