I know Thanksgiving and the holidays are just around the corner but I have to confess, the thought of sweet potato casserole at the dinner table makes me cringe a little.
Found most often cloaked under a layer of sticky sugary marshmallows, the poor things become hopelessly lost, just too sweet for their own good and cloyingly so.
Instead, what if we contrasted the naturally sweet root vegetable with some bright and savory flavors? I think it’s time to give sweet potatoes a makeover, don’t you?
Let’s free them of their sugary sweet shackles and give them a new look. While I’m happy to take mine oven roasted with a nice pat of butter on top any day, just a few well chosen ingredients can take them from good to glorious.
You all know by now that I like a simple recipe, one that puts fresh, flavorful ingredients at the forefront whenever possible and this one is no different.
As simple as can be, these baked sweet potatoes stuffed with feta, sun-dried tomatoes and olives will satisfy those salty/sweet cravings with the tastes of the Mediterranean.
Tender oven baked sweet potatoes are stuffed with a mixture of creamy feta, salty olives and bright sun-dried tomatoes that add a punch of flavor. I love the contrast of sweet and creamy with salty and savory.
These orange-skinned beauties are also brimming with a host of Vitamin C, potassium and beta-carotene.
They do take time, not to prepare (or eat) but to cook so plan ahead as the sweet potatoes need about 45 minutes to an hour in the oven. Other than that, it’s a matter of minutes to a satisfying side or meal with a salad on the side.
(This recipe was featured on Dr. Frank Lipman’s Best of 2012 Gluten Free Recipe Round-up.)
Serves Serves 2 to 4
Tender oven baked sweet potatoes are stuffed with a mixture of creamy feta, salty olives and bright sun-dried tomatoes that add a punch of flavor.
10 minPrep Time
60 minCook Time
- 2 medium red skinned sweet potatoes, about 8 to 10 oz each and scrubbed clean
- 56g/ 2oz sheep’s milk feta cheese , cut into small cubes
- 28g/ 2 oz black oil-cured olives, pitted and chopped
- 25g/ 1 oz oil packed sundried tomatoes ; thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (1 handful) chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried or 2 teaspoons fresh oregano; chopped
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Pierce each sweet potato several times with the tines of a fork. Place them directly on middle oven rack with a piece of foil on the rack below.
- Bake until the sweet potatoes are easily pierced with a knife and cooked through, about 45-60 minutes depending on size. Remove from oven and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, make the topping. Mix together remaining ingredients in a small bowl and set aside until the sweet potatoes are done.
- Slice sweet potatoes lengthwise down the center to expose cooked insides, top with feta mixture and serve.
Gluten Free, Grain Free, Vegetarian
NOTE: Save this recipe right to your online recipe box. You can add ingredients from each recipe to your shopping list and take it to the store with ZipList's free mobile app. To add any recipe to your list or recipe box, click the "save recipe" button at the top right corner of the recipe, then sign up using your email address, Facebook or Twitter account.